[Gpdd] Care:Classroom pigs

Deb Ganley dganley at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jun 21 22:05:16 EDT 2008

Your post struck a nerve in me since I also work in a school (elementary, K-5) that allows small animals as classroom pets.  I am so against the idea--my Molly came from a private school that let their pigs breed, to the point that there were 30 taken out by Humane--& Molly was the only pig deemed to be adoptable.  The other 29 were euthanized since they were thought to be almost feral.

Anyway--I've pigsat many times for 2 girls that we love dearly, Addison & Seraphina.  They're the classroom pets of a kindergarten teacher that I'm pretty friendly with--but I've faced the same issues you have. I've brought them treats on a Monday AM, after they've been on their own all weekend, & they tear the plastic bag from my hand, trying to get to the veggies they haven't had in 2 days.  The teacher would leave them for a 3-day weekend, which made the veggie situation even worse--another day without veggies & hay.  I finally started "kidnapping" the girls & emailing her to let her know where they are (were.)  She'll also send the girls home with any kid who's family is willing to take them--a disaster waiting to happen.  Pigs need stability & a forever home.  This teacher finally has come to her senses somewhat & has gotten better in her care.  I end up taking care of the girls while she goes away for a week or so at a time, over the summer now--but at least she isn't pawning the girls off on any kid's family who will take them.  She brings them home with her & we have them while they're away.

Talk to the director again--from what you said, she seemed receptive to input about the little guy's situation.  She may even be able to ban classroom animals--I have a new principal & AP in my school now & I know I'm going to talk to them over the summer about that.  No, 3 year olds don't remember where the bathroom is on Monday, never mind being upset if the animal is gone over the weekend.

Please let me know how you make out--Deb & the Florida 4 (& Potter, always in our hearts.)