[Gpdd] MISC Classroom piggy

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sun Jun 22 04:49:28 EDT 2008

I am assuming that you are in the US from your post about the classroom piggy. Here, in England, I would notify the RSPCA, who could send an inspector along to the school, to ensure that the little fellow had adequate housing and that he was being fed correctly. Maybe some of our American members can advise you which agency you could contact for help.

Is there a more senior teacher to whom you could speak who might carry more authority? Here it would be a headmaster/mistress but I don't know the correct terminology for an American school. Could you send photos to a local newspaper with the piggy's story without getting yourself in any trouble?

When my sons were at primary school ( 5 - 11 years ) it was decided by the teachers that it would be a "good idea" to have some guinea pigs in the school. My heart sank when my boys told me about them. The teacher in charge of them obviously knew nothing about piggies other than you put them in a hutch. There was a rota made with a list of which child was responsible for the piggies that week and these poor piggies went home with whichever child's mother had room for the hutch in her car.

Not being, as you might be, in a position to lose a job, I kicked up a fuss over these piggies and the headmaster was willing for me to go along to the school to give a little talk about guinea pig care. I tried to aim it both at the children and the teachers who were more likely to take notice. I also made sure that I turned up early every Friday to pignap the little ones and we also cared for them over the school holidays. My sons took fresh veggies in for them every day and I left a bale of hay by their hutch. To my sons, having lived in my piggy sanctuary from birth, it was second nature to ensure that the water bottle was filled and that the piggies had enough food.

When my youngest finally left the school, we had the piggies over the holiday and no-one ever asked why we had not taken them back for the next school year.

I wish you good luck with your little piggy and hope that you are able to turn his life around for the better.

Please keep us all informed as to your progress.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.