[Gpdd] CARE Flies

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Tue Jun 24 16:17:25 EDT 2008

Joy, I don't know if you can buy them in your country but I have seen the old-fashioned sticky fly papers hanging up at my Rodentologists' house.

I can remember these from my childhood, long before the invention of aerosol flysprays ( too dangerous to use near precious piggies ) and I think that they used to be called Honeypot or something similar. I had no idea that they were still available. They came in a small cardboard cylinder and I think that they had to be warmed, after which the long sticky paper could be unfurled and hung up. They looked disgusting but caught many flies.

In my greenhouses I hang yellow sticky traps to catch the whitefly and lots of other flies are attracted to these and meet a sticky end, apparently drawn by the bright yellow colour. Not very smart to hang in the house but if they work, I guess it is worth putting up with them. Again, these might not be on sale where you are.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.