[Gpdd] HEALTH: mammary tumor

davedave121 at aol.com davedave121 at aol.com
Sat Jun 28 08:42:33 EDT 2008

Hi pat
You say Doris’s latest U.T.I, how old is Doris, this can be an
important  risk factor, the older the pig the higher the risk (we lost
our 5 year old house bunny Bugsy to anaesthetics last year).

I don’t know about anyone else but I do know that several of my pigs
have little lumps and bumps, and have done for a long time. Our vet
assures me that they are nothing to worry about, piggys like us are
porn to lumps and bumps.

I would be slightly concerned that it is between the nipples , and I
would not be to worried about an surgery providing Doris is relatively
young ,as I would not think that removing a small bump and
investigating the surrounding tissues to be anywhere near as invasive
as having a sow spayed , though I’m not a vet!

Personally I would get 2 other opinions from other vets, before
embarking on surgery .

Please tell me apart from the relevant antibiotics, have you found
anything useful to combat U.T.I, as we have a sow,(hetty) who has had
recurring U.T.I for over three years, it comes back every 3-4 months ,
and  we have tried most remedies, none seem to have any effect , we
have a terrible time with her, she is fine now but we are dreading the
infection.

Yours: hoping Doris’s bump is just a bump
Dave,Yvonne and the herd at piggy palace UK