[Gpdd] HEALTH Doris's mammary tumour

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Jun 28 13:12:06 EDT 2008

Pat,

I keep considering what reply to give you regarding Doris's lump. No longer having the expertise of the wonderful vet, who treated the Piggyfriends for many years, I have to say that any operation would have to be approached with great trepidation and as a last resort. Good GP vets in England are thin on the ground. My Rodentologists are fantastic but they are not allowed to perform invasive surgery.

Many years ago, my Lima was successfully treated for a tumour between her nipples, not because it was malignant but because the size of the thing was preventing her moving around normally. I was terrified about the operation and brought her home still unconscious from the anaesthetic. I sat up with her all night and at 3 a.m. she woke up, looked around and started eating the grass which I had left in front of her. She was five at the time and lived to be seven. I have always considered that she was extremely lucky.

Before deciding, I would ask for a biopsy to be taken using a local anaesthetic, to see if the tumour is malignant and, if not, I would leave well alone. I have had many piggies with lumps and bumps, which caused them no problem.

You need to weigh up the pros and cons but personally, I consider the anaesthetic risk to be so high that an operation has to be a last ditch effort.

Lots of love to Doris,

Penny and the Piggyfriends.