[Gpdd] [ANNOUNCE] New piggy in town

Deborah Tanovich dtanovich at rogers.com
Sun Mar 2 12:27:57 EST 2008

Greetings to the GPDD

Since my beloved Popcorn passed 8 months ago, there has been no piggy in the house.  Well yesterday I fell in love again.  My daughter and I were shopping at the mall, and well I just had to go to the pet store.  The store does not buy any of their animals from mills, all breeders with references, and they offer a 15 day health guarantee.  All our pets have come from there.
Well in the piggy cage were 3 little boys and I fell in love with one.  He is chocolate brown with a caramel tummy and a right side swipe of caramel.  He has a wee white blaze down his nose and pretty brown eyes.  But the cutest part of all, is his white crest on his head.  Gives him quite the professorial look.  Neatly parted and stark white he looks like a guy from a barbershop quartet.  We cuddled in the store and home he came.  Since we had parked at the opposite end of the mall, we made quite the procession carrying a box which most of the little kids wanting to know what was in it.
We were worried that with our crazy Canadian weather right now, he would catch cold but my daughter sacrificed her coat to cover the box.  Much chittering on the drive home.  We had a spare gerbil cage (story for another day) and my daughter set it up with newspaper shreds and some hay.  I still had Popcorn's old dish, so our new resident could eat.  I took him to see my mom who has Alzheimer's and is becoming less responsive. Well we took to each other like old friends.  Piggy cuddled in the crook of her arm and Mom was talking to him and petting him.  Her caregiver cuddled with Piggy who then decided to climb up and around her neck pausing on the other side as if to say "Hi there".  We spent the dinner hour trying to come up with a name.  He nearly ecame "Perry Como" as he is rather mellow but watching him eat shredded carrots and hay the name came.

Woody.  Yes Woody because he eats like a woodchipper. One strand at a time, straight in, no stopping. He's eating carrots now.  He actually uses his front paws to direct the carrots, which I have never seen before.  He stands up on his hind legs to survey his domain and we have even had the "danger pig" call.
Only purred once so far, but does chitter and chat when petted.  Of course the bodily functions are working well too, but I am going to take him to the vet for a checkup this week.

Yes GPDD'ers I am besotted as is my family.  Roscoe (the wonder dog) is not amused wants to know what this thing is; Bubba and Nigel (girl gerbils, nother story) don't really care and my husband know has someone to "Yea Leafs" with when our beloved but awful Toronto Maple Leafs might win.  I am off to the pet store for some supplies, more food and to the grocery store for carrots and other goodies.  Shall keep you posted on Woody's progress.

Condolences to all those who have lost the loved ones, time heals but you never forget.

Debbie Tanovich
(loved always--Fluffy and Popcorn)