[Gpdd] HEALTH How to tell mites from lice.

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Tue Mar 4 09:00:44 EST 2008

Hello Sarah and piggy gang.

The main difference between mites and lice is that mites burrow into the piggy's skin, causing unbearable itching and pain, which can result in death if not treated, whereas lice live in the coat.

Advantage, which can kill lice will NOT kill mites, which need to be treated with Ivermectin.

With good eyesight, lice can be seen in the coat and there are some pictures on GuineaLynx to help identify them. http://www.guinealynx.com/lice.html

I always quarantine refugee piggies arriving here at Piggyfriends as parasites can be transmitted from one piggy to another and I treat the newcomers against both mites and lice just in case. Their previous living conditions often leave a lot to be desired and I never know what passengers they might be carrying.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.