[Gpdd] Behavior: Eye licking

Brenda B. Colijn bcolijn at wideopenwest.com
Sun Mar 9 17:41:07 EDT 2008

I usually lurk rather than posting, but I wanted to comment on eye
licking.  I have seen several of my pigs do it, especially an older pig
to a younger pig or baby.  Right now, my Shadow will sometimes lick
Max.  Max doesn't seem to mind it.  Since I've seen adults do it to
babies, I've assumed that it's a sort of affectionate dominance thing;
it affirms the pecking order but in a nicer way than mounting or
rumblestrutting.  Sometimes the older pig will lick an ear, also.  Just
my guess.

Brenda (in Ohio, USA)
Max and Shadow
Rusty and William of Orange