[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOR] Woody's odd

Deborah Tanovich dtanovich at rogers.com
Tue Mar 11 21:59:26 EDT 2008

Greetings to the Digest

We lit a candle for Peter Gurney on March 9 in Toronto Ontario Canada.

Woody is my third pig so I don't know if some of these behaviours are normal or I've managed to find an odd pig.
First of all, he uses his paws to both hold his food and directs it to his mouth. He bats at his pellets with his paws before selecting one to eat.
He stands on his back legs like a prairie dog and looks around.  He also pops up like a "whack a Mole" and chitters constantly while he's doing it.
He is also the stingiest pig with his poops.  The vet wanted me to collect fresh poops so it can analyzed for "stuff".  Woody refuses to poop outside of his cage.  He was out for floor time for 30 minutes and not one bean.  Plenty in the cage but none on the floor.
He climbs. A lot. I had purchased a wire enclosure for floor time but Woody was not pleased with it.  He would literally take a run ning leap at the wire and tired to sclae it.  Nearly succeeded twice but then decided to burrow under it until he caught his nose in the wires.  He's fine but the enclosure is going back.
He gets quite a lot of air when he popcorns and is constantly talking.  Loves the phone--every time it rings he purrs. Likes to sit on my shoulder and chitter into my ear, especially when he feels hard done by. He's developing quite a personality.

So my dear Digesters, I would appreciate your feedback.  Is Woody odd or is he just being a piggy???

Debbie Tanovich