[Gpdd] Rainbow Bridge: Good Night Sweet Prince

Eve Poker shiksachick at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 12 17:01:57 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I haven't been able to read many digests for a while but this community is the most supportive about losing our little companions.

Hamlet, passed away in the night due to complications of old age.  He lived to a ripe old age of 8 years, 5 months and 12 days.  I got him in 1999 along with his brother, Ophelia, at the tender age of 6 weeks.  He never really got used to me handling him although as he got older he mellowed a bit and seemed to accept that I meant him no harm.  Hamlet had difficulty walking this last year, his back legs just seemed to get stiffer and stiffer and he was unable to walk at all from Jan 31st until his death.  His eyes remained bright and his appetite was unaffected so I decided to do my best for him until those two things changed.  Every day I'd move him and syringe him water and cut up his food and put it within mouth's reach for him.  Nearer the end I started giving him ibuprofen and aspirin, going by the guidelines at the guinealynx website.  The morning of the 11th I knew his time was close.  I made him as comfortable as possible, we had one last cuddle and he passed in the night with his cagemate, Paddington, at his side.

Poor Paddington is depressed.  My chubby eat-aholic piggie has shown no interest in eating and has stayed in one corner all day.  I gave him a good cuddle today and hope that he starts to heal soon from this loss.  It worries me that he isn't eating.  I'm doing well about losing Hamlet.  He beat the odds and lived to be an old, old man.  I can't ask for more and I'm relieved that he is no longer suffering.

Thanks for listening.  Eve along with Paddington and Agnes