[Gpdd] [MISCELLANEOUS] A sad day.....

Carol koalabear123 at verizon.net
Wed Mar 19 20:12:48 EDT 2008

A sad day...a sad announcement

It was with a sad, heavy heart that I advise you of the passing of Joseph C.
Petrillo, George the Guinea Pig's daddy. Anybody who has been a long time
subscriber to this digest will surely remember him.

I was his friend. I met Joe and his wife Gail about 7 yrs ago at the Guinea
Pig Extravanga that was held in Arlington, VA and where we also had the
pleasure of meeting Peter Gurney.

Joe and Gail were standing around after Peter's lecture and Joe had a
collage picture frame full of pics of George. As my friend and I were
talking to them and admiring the pics we found out that not only did they
live in NJ but they lived in the same apartment complex as my friend! Thus
began a wonderful friendship that was based on our mutual love of our guinea
pigs. Joe used to refer to George as "the boy" and spent hours taking his
pic and making videos. Joe was so pleased when George met my three girls,
Angel, Sophie and Elsie and George took a special liking to Angel.

The next thing I knew, Joe planned a guinea pig wedding! We all went to a
pet blessing where Joe had the priest "marry" George and Angel.  Joe bought
a cake and created wedding announcements for souveniers for the guests to
take home after the party. He was always making me videos of the girls and
George playing together and also making all sorts of things with the pics he
took. He loved my girls and was so good to them. When they came for a visit
they brought bags of food for them and Joe always spent time holding and
kissing my girls.When they crossed over the rainbow bridge, he posted here
to let you all know. He made memorial trinkets for me with their pics on it.
He was a gift to the guinea pig world. I nicknamed him The Pig Whisperer. It
killed me that he was unable to share that love with another guinea pig..I
always told him how much of a loss it was to guinea pigs.

When George passed away Joe was never the same. The greatest joy in his life
was gone. While Gail was willing and offered to adopt another guinea pig Joe
refused, saying he could never suffer the pain of that loss again. Losing
George was too much for him.  Then, Joe and Gail moved to Florida and I
missed them both so much.

Joe was dealing with congestive heart failure which got worse since they
moved and eventually it affected his kidneys.
If you wish to offer condolences you can email them to me at
koalabear123 at verizon.net and I will make sure that Gail gets them.

Thanks!
Carol