[Gpdd] health - Cocoa update

Suzy Dünser suzy at dunser.com
Fri Mar 21 05:32:30 EDT 2008

Well, we're back home now. Cocoa survived the trip okay, I think - at
least, he's alive and alert, although he's still not eating on his
own. I've been syringe feeding him, and he's tolerating that okay,
although I wonder how much of his cooperative behaviour is just
resignation to never knowing where he is or what's going on any more.
At least he's home tonight, with Rocky.

Sorry I don't sound more cheerful, but I was really hoping he'd be
eating by now. I've been giving him children's Nurofen, as Penny
suggested, and he likes that, although I can't tell from his behaviour
if it changes how he feels. I've tried offering him chunks of cucumber
and apple (favourites, normally) as well as grass, dandelions and sow
thistle leaves; I've stuck thin slivers of cucumber and carrot as well
as leaf ends in his mouth, but he is just not into it. He does chew
away on the slurry when I give it to him with the syringe, but doesn't
chew at all with the solid food. There's also the possibility that he
just doesn't like me shoving stuff in his mouth - he never would have
eaten something given to him like that when he was well!

I weighed him tonight on my kitchen scales, and he weighed 875g. I
fervently hope that's just because the scales are calibrated
differently from the vets'. He's going back there tomorrow for an
antibiotic shot, so I will ask her to weigh him there, too, but in any
case at least now I have a base number for him at home.

I've written to one person I know in NZ who runs a guinea pig rescue,
asking if she knows of any vets who trim teeth without an anaesthetic,
so hopefully I'll get an answer from her soon; otherwise I will start
calling around after Easter. I do trust my vet to use the anaesthetic
as safely as possible, but if this lack of eating is connected to
having been knocked out, I would really like to avoid that!

Wheeks and squeaks from Suzy and Rocky, but silence from the tiny
Cocoa...