[Gpdd] HEALTH - seizures

Andrew a1.mills at portset.net
Sat Mar 22 09:55:20 EDT 2008

The most common cause of seizures in guinea pigs is a skin problem, either mites or a fungal infection.  Obviously they can have seizures for other reasons but skin problems are definitely the first thing to check for.  If a guinea pig scratches itself and then has a seizure this is an almost sure sign that it's skin related.  I'd give Pancake a thorough check, get right down to the base of the fur and check for flaky skin or hair loss.  If you can pull the hair out easily he probably has a skin problem.  Obviously if you find a skin problem he'll then need the appropriate treatment.  If there's not a skin issue going on I'm afraid I can't offer any advice as I've never experienced non-skin related seizures but I know some others in the group have so maybe they'll be able to help.  I hope you are soon able to find out what the problem is and hopefully it will be something that's easily treatable.