[Gpdd] [HEALTH] - seizures

warmbreath imwarmbreath at netscape.com
Sun Mar 23 04:07:50 EDT 2008

>> The most common cause of seizures in guinea pigs is a skin problem,
>> either
>> mites or a fungal infection.  Obviously they can have seizures > for
>> other reasons but skin problems are definitely the first thing to check
>> for.

 Yes of course, fur mites are often a cause of seizures, sorry I missed that
 I would like to add to the post that checking the ears and skin often shows
 nothing, these mites burrow, even most skin scrapings (yikes!) come back
 negative.  The vet can treat with a series of three shots over 10 days to 2
 weeks between each or if you have a whole herd you can treat with the
 horsepaste version you get at the western feed stores. usually the dosage
is
 a small to tiny amount on the end of a Q-tip fed by mouth and repeated as
 above, at least three times to pickup the new hatches. The dosage amount is
 very critical so if you use the horsepaste it's much safer to have the vet
 show you how much to use, but you do have to treat all the pigs and any
 other animals  some of which cant tolerate Ivermectin so have to get
 something else, dogs especially are sensitive, esp. breeds with white paws.
 So go forward with haste to the vet, the seizures happen as the itching
 literally causes the little guys to go nuts
 Sandy and Many the Boar