[Gpdd] Health Fits

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Mon Mar 24 11:41:12 EDT 2008

Dear Kelly

I think I must have somehow missed a GPDD in which you posted about your
guinea pig having seizures, or a single seizure.  As everyone who has
responded has said, there could be a variety of reasons, but skin mites is
hopefully the most likely cause here and your guinea pig needs a trip to the
vets asap for treatment.

They can give your guinea pig something for the mites, and also a special
shampoo.  If you have not had to shampoo a guinea pig before, please don't
try to do this alone, but ask one of the vets nurses there is they can help
talk you through the first time so you know exactly how this is done.  As
you will be getting your guinea pig treated at their surgery, there should
not be a charge for this.

Usually the shampoo needs to be kept on the guinea pig for between 5-10
minutes.  During this stage, don't forget to keep your guinea pig wrapped in
a towel to keep it warm and also to stop it trying to clean itself and
ingest the shampoo.

If mites is left untreated, guinea pigs continue to have seizures and, if
mites becomes very severe, they can die (due to the seizures).

Do let us all know how your trip to the vets goes.  I wish you all the best.

Kind regards

Carole