[Gpdd] health - Cocoa

Suzy Dünser suzy at dunser.com
Tue Mar 25 02:42:02 EDT 2008

Hi Carla and everybody,

I think I read a thread of yours on Guinea Lynx - was there another
person writing to you whose guinea pig had a dislocated jaw, with worn
down cartilage? I read that thread to the end, but it never said if
the chin sling helped her piggie or not.

We picked Cocoa up from the vet this afternoon and brought him home. I
honestly don't know which way I'd have gone if I didn't also have
Katie, my 7-year-old, bawling that we had to give Cocoa a chance. The
vet is not optimistic. He showed us the x-rays - the jaw hinge is just
in a place where there is so much bone you can't see much. The reason
he thinks it's dislocated is that he could move it around more than he
would expect, especially on one side. I asked about relocating it,
either himself, or if an animal physical therapist could do it. He
said he did try, but couldn't do it. He suspects that if it is
dislocated, that it happened a number of days ago, and he said with
these things you have to put them back right away or scarring develops
that makes it impossible later.

Cocoa himself is not seeming very fantastic at the moment. He did get
some subcutaneous fluids at the vet, so his eyes look normal again,
but he's breathing very fast and doesn't seem relaxed, even when he's
not moving. The vet thought his jaw wasn't causing him much pain now
(although he said it would have when it first happened - how did I
miss this??), as he had manipulated it a bit while Cocoa was
conscious, and he didn't really resist. But just in case, I have
Metacam to give him each day (one drop in with the food syringe). I'll
do my best to get enough food and fluids into him, and see how he goes
over the next few days. The vet said his jaw may stiffen up (this
would be a bad thing), so I'll be watching for that. It's all pretty
horrible. I don't want him to suffer, but I do want to give him a
chance...

I didn't even ask - has anyone ever had a piggy with a dislocated jaw?

Fingers and paws crossed for a miracle,
Suzy, Rocky, and Cocoa