[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Vedra and help for Cocoa

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 26 09:41:22 EDT 2008

Dear Suzy

I have just spoken to Vedra on the telephone and read some of your email to
her (that you posted on GPDD about what your vet has said).  She said in the
the whole 40 years she has been practising that she has only ever seen one
instance of a dislocated jaw.  She says that people have brought gp's to her
with their vets having said a dislocated jaw was the problem, and she said
that only once was that ever actually the case -- and she said this was
because when the vet had clipped and filed this gp's teeth, he had actually
caused the dislocation by not haivng the jaw properly supported during the
procedure.  She also said that a dislocated jaw is not a reason to have a gp
put to sleep and that it is fixable.

Vedra says that she thinks the dislocated jaw idea is highly unlikely and
she says that gp's teeth should be arched at the back a little, they are not
straight at the back like a rabbit's teeth would be.

She is going to call me with the number of the rodentologist in North
Auckland, but she also told me that if Cocoa is losing weight, she
recommends you increase the number of feeds you are giving him until you can
see an increase in the weight.  Feeds need to be given in the night as well.

I wonder if for the small amount of money a call would cost, that you might
want to call Vedra for help.  She asked me questions I was unable to answer,
and you would get more from her than I could as you know exactly what has
gone on.  She is available 24 hours a day, and for maybe $10 for the call,
you may be able to help Cocoa so much more.  Her no is 07721 026 401.

I think your vet is part of your battle here.  As soon as Vedra has called
me back with the North Auckland tel no I will call you again.  Please don't
give up on Cocoa.  Things can go backwards before they go forwards again and
Vedra certainly made me feel all was not lost.  She stressed the need to
make sure feeds were regular, and syringed while Cocoa can't chew.  Don't
forget there is also Peter McLean on Christchurch 3584407.  Get as much help
as you can and then you will not feel you are doing this alone.

I will email again with the number as soon as I have it, but please don't
forget your other options above.

Kind regards

Carole