[Gpdd] [CARE] Boar Vs Boar

warmbreath imwarmbreath at netscape.com
Thu Mar 27 09:06:35 EDT 2008

Dear Emma

You cant just buy a boar and put in with another into existing The boar you all ready had has rights, in his mind, to his cage, his food, his water bottle, his everything and you have started off very badly,  BUT  it can be done  The cage you have should be immediately divided with  wire so that each has his own space, 2 waters 2 sets of food.  After all how would you feel if your mom brought home a new kid and threw him into your room and you had to share everything (even when they get to be friends and live in one cage they still need 2 waters, foods, and hidey holes so they can have some space away from the other guy.

The best idea is to have actually separate cages side by side, so they can see and smell each other, lie side by side etc, and get slowly used to one another.  New piggy already knows what hw wants, he has been snatched up from his old place, even if it was a pet shop, so now he is in limbo, nothing is his, he belongs nowhere and he wants a piggy friend so he is willing to put up with abuse from piggy number 1. But you also need to understand completely that you don't just "get rid" of troublesome pets, they are a responsibility, your responsibility

But abuse is bad, and can kill, so they have to live side by side until piggy 1 will accept piggy 2.  There should be meetings in neutral places, like a blocked off kitchen, bath or even bath tub.  They cant have meetings in the piggy number 1's cage until he accepts piggy number 2.  At these neutral meeting spots, you should have a huge salad set down, then bring the pigs.  Usually they will eat it all up and then take a nap cause they are after all, pigs, after a few of these they might be friends, call them dates. and beware of backwards mounting, bottom piggy can bite off top piggies penis. if he gets mad enough. They will always have the rumblestruts, mounting, and there will usually be a dominant pig in the end.

Our archives has lots of ideas for getting 2 boars to live together peacefully but please understand, this isn't how nature intended it  In real life there is an alpha male in every hers and he gets there by beating all the lesser males who are either killed or run out of the herd. But with piggies if you work hard they will probable become friends for life, and its really better that way cause its awfully lonely living alone in a cage with just some kid to come around and play once in a while.

A couple of hints, give them baths before their dates, and have a spay bottle of water and thick towels handy to break up fights. They can sniff and rumblestrut allot and have little fights, but it is the big fights you have to break up or prevent, otherwise you have expensive vet bills or a dead piggie, I know it happened to me and I still carry the guilt. My favorite pig was the loser, got an infection and died years ago and just thinking of my stupidity now and how my piggy suffered makes me cry