[Gpdd] HEALTH Fireball's Rump Has White Stuff Again

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu Mar 27 16:42:37 EDT 2008

Jocelyn,

I remember you posting about this problem before and didn't you also provide a link to a photo? Without a photo to help me this time, I'm guessing that Fireball has another sebaceous cyst.

Some piggies are just prone to these and they are harmless but messy. I've been rummaging through the archives to find my original reply, where I mentioned that my Sam had the glands which produced the cysts removed.

I'm too squeamish to remove these myself ( I'm likely to pass out at the sight of blood and never look when I go to Blood Donors ) but my rodentologist, after cleaning out the gunk from the cysts, picked out the glands with a little pair of tweezers. I would have expected it to hurt but Sam sat on the table munching away while this work was done and never uttered a squeak. I watched from between my fingers.

If the gland remains, the cyst is very likely to fill up again so ask if your vet can do this procedure, which does not require anaesthesia.  It is amazing how much stuff can come out of these cysts and they do come up very quickly.

The pigture of Little John is gorgeous.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.

P.S. Whilst searching the archives, I was horrified to find how many posts were mine. I guess that I just can't help myself when it comes to piggies. Perhaps some other folk would like to post a lot more so that my name does not stand out quite so prominently.