[Gpdd] CARE Carole's new baby pig and seizures

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon Mar 31 19:25:12 EDT 2008

Carole,

I am so glad that your friend's piggy is finally getting the right treatment. If anyone has a piggy suffering from seizures it never hurts to give them a course of Ivermectin, even if the seizures subsequently prove to have a different cause. Mites are usually the problem and prompt action is called for. Piggies can suffer with epilepsy but this is rare.

Welcome to your new baby pig. I have been privileged to care for many Peruvians here at Piggyfriends and currently have Diamond. I brush my Peruvians ( and other long haired piggies ) more often than the short coated ones and always keep the hair really short at the rear end to stop it from getting soiled. The long hair tends to mat, more with some piggies than others. Diamond never gets very matted but some previous piggies would have got into a real mess without the hairbrush. I use a soft brush designed for cats and, also, a little soft wire brush from the Winking Cavy Store to finish off. A Peruvian's coat should have a parting down the middle and the front hair should fall over the face.

If your babe's hair should mat, it is easier to remove these mats during a shampoo when the mats can be cut down the middle and teased out.

I don't know where you live but it seldom gets very hot in England so the thickness of the coat is not a problem for my piggies. On rare hot days, I have fans in the piggy rooms anyway. Maybe some of our members in warmer climes have some suggestions in case you too live in a warm place.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.