[Gpdd] HEALTH Wet butt - Simone

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu May 8 17:47:50 EDT 2008

Poor Simone,

It is always hard to diagnose a piggy illness from a brief description.

This could well be a Urinary Tract Infection ( UTI ), for which your vet will prescribe antibiotics. Simone will feel uncomfortable and the urine can scald the skin making it very sore. UTIs are not uncommon in piggies. Have a look at this page on GuineaLynx  http://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html

You can bathe her underneath, dry her very gently and apply a barrier cream to keep the urine from her skin.

Sometimes a bladder infection can put a piggy off her food. My Daisy has one at the moment and I have been supplementing her food by syringe feeding. She is normally a big eater and is almost sucking the pellet mush from the syringe. Tempt Simone with favourite veggies. Daisy has been off veggies for a couple of days but is enjoying an assortment of tasty weeds from the garden. I have started her on a course of Septrin antibiotic and am also giving her children's liquid Nurofen, which is an anti-inflammatory as well as a painkiller. It also tastes nice, being orange flavoured.

In England, I have also treated this with a ladies' cystitis remedy from in the pharmacy ( different dosage of course ). Another remedy is the old fashioned way that this was treated in humans, using Barley Water ( not the sweet drink sold in bottles but the home made variety ). Persisitent UTIs can be helped by giving your piggy plain unsweetened cranberry juice.

For now, just keep her clean and fresh and see what the vet recommends.

Don't worry. If this is a UTI it is easily treated.

Good luck at the vets Simone,

Penny and the Piggyfriends.