[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Tooth Trimmers

Anderson, Jocelyn M jocelynm at umich.edu
Tue May 13 09:55:04 EDT 2008

Hello people and piggies,

Yesterday my piggy Fireball had one of his bottom teeth removed. Awhile
back, my vet suggested that his teeth might be causing all his
abscesses, and pointed me to a good local dentist, which turned out to
be one of the top animal dentists in the state. Luckily, he had a lot
guinea pig experience, not just with cats and dogs. The dentist ended up
removing the tooth because it was mangled and decaying in his jaw, and
had no chance of being saved. The good news is that his molars are
looking fine. I'm hoping that all my piggy's abscess problems will clear
up now, too. Fireball is eating okay, although he's hiding in his
pigloos a lot. He's still on antibiotics.

He will need his top teeth trimmed now because of the loss of the lower
tooth. The dentist mentioned that toenail clippers will work, along with
high powered dental equipment. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what
works best for their piggies that need teeth trimmed? I could take him
to the vet to get his teeth trimmed, but I'd rather not. It's not the
cost, but he gets so nervous when being taken the vet. I'd rather wrap
him up in a towel at home (piggy burrito!) and do it there.

Thanks,

Jocelyn, Fireball the Fat, Little John, and Flashbang Fatbottom