[Gpdd] Care: Nails

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Wed May 14 02:27:34 EDT 2008

Hi All,

     I finally managed to convince my cat that biting, however playful he
thinks it to be, just doesn't go. Result, my forearms had mended nicely.

     Now, there's my new little buddy, Captain Jack, and my again bleeding
forearm. Lots of little tiny pin prick holes and they do actually bleed. Problem
-- those sharp little guy nails. I trimmed a few of them perhaps 3 weeks ago
but the quick is almost at the nail tips and has been since I acquired him.
How do I just barely clip these nail tips without cutting the quick? (Try saying
that 5 time really fast!)

     He's getting so lovable. He just loves to run up his momma's arm and
chest. And with those sharp sharp baby claws...ouch!! But I'm so afraid of
hurting him. His nails are clear so I can see the quick but that doesn't seem to
help much. There's just so little space. And, if I let them grow a bit longer,
the quick will grow, too, will it not?

     Those who have been part of the digest for a long time know my record
with nail clipping. Maybe I'll take him to the local vet who does not see GPs
for illnesses but who will cut their nails and trim their teeth. Still, I don't
see how even she could manage it unless she has the eyes of a hawk and the
nerves and hands of true surgeon.

Nervously,
Alge