[Gpdd] HEALTH: Tumbleweeed's abscess

Cindy calliope at geeksnet.com
Sun May 18 17:28:56 EDT 2008

I want to thank everyone who has written me with advice, information,
healing wheeks, and prayers in regard to Tumbleweed's abscess.  I think
I have answered everyone privately but also wanted to offer this public
thanks.

Unfortunately we discovered last week that the abscess had returned.
Tumbleweed's buddy, Friday (now Dr. Friday) let us know the bad news.
He began looking under Tumbleweed's chin, so we went back to the vet
ASAP.  My vet lanced it again and put Tumbleweed back on Baytril.
(Tumbleweed had been continuing on the Metrondiazole, but apparently
that wasn't enough by itself.)

My vet also has sent off a culture to see if the infection is anaerobic,
aerobic, or some combination of the two.

The new Baytril is actually a stronger version of the Baytril we got
originally, and it began to upset Tumbleweed's tummy.  This morning we
were really worried about him.  He didn't want to eat much and was
looking quite tired.  Fortunately we had one dose of Reglan left, gave
it to him, and he began to improve within a couple of hours.  I am going
to pick up some more Reglan tomorrow morning.  Of course, we've also
been using a probiotic.

Whew.  In addition, we've been checking Tumbleweed each night and
cleaning the abscess.

At the moment, Tumbleweed is eating pellets, I am happy to report.

Thanks again.  I hope we can get rid of the abscess, no matter how long
it takes.  Our little guy is quite a fighter.

Cindy, Tumbleweed, and Friday