[Gpdd] [HEALTH] update on Flaco Paco's toe

Ginger Hoffman gingera at MIT.EDU
Tue May 20 14:59:58 EDT 2008

Dear Stacy, Glynis, Jaime, and Everyone,

thank you so much for all the advice and support on little Flaco's
foot.  I'm really grateful for the GPDD--that there are people here
that understand the anxiety over making the right treatment decisions!

Here's the update:  Flaco seems to be doing very well!!  He has
remained perky and hungry, and we haven't given him any metacam except
for the first day (and it seemed to make him tired, although it's hard
to tell).  If I ever need to give it in the future, I will make sure
to give it on a full stomach.  We had our traveling vet visit him
yesterday, and he said that the toe looked pretty good, and that Flaco
most likely won't lose it (the first vet thought that was a
possibility)!  He also said that the first vet had prescribed the
wrong dose of oral sulfatrim (it's supposed to be .6cc 2x per day, and
the first vet had prescribed .2cc 1x per day!  It's possible that what
the first vet gave me was a different concentration, I suppose????).
So our nice traveling vet gave us some new sulfatrim at a known
concentration, and Flaco has been doing fairly well drinking it.
(I also showed the traveling vet the GL page with the sulfatrim
(bactrim) dosages, and he agreed with it).
Today, the swelling seems to have gone down a fair amount, and I'm
just praying he will keep doing well.  I'm so proud of him!

I know there are a lot of piggies in much worse shape and I'm sending
them healing wheeks.
Healing wheeks to Tumbleweed, too!  I hope that nasty abcess goes away
soon (and doesn't come back!)

best,
Ginger, Flaco Paco, and Nosophoros