[Gpdd] HEALTH: hysterectomy alternatives?

Brenda Colijn bcolijn at wideopenwest.com
Tue May 27 12:04:13 EDT 2008

A friend of mine has a five-year-old female guinea pig who has started to
bleed from her bottom.  The vet wants to do a hysterectomy.  My friend is
wondering whether she should put her gpig through surgery at her age.  Also
they are on a tight budget and may not be able to afford the surgery (they
haven't heard an estimate yet).  The x-ray showed no stones, blockages, or
masses.  I don't think the vet has made a more specific diagnosis yet.

I've had guinea pigs for over 10 years, but they've been almost all males.  I
gave my friend the guinealynx address.  Does anyone have any information or
advice that might help?  Is there any treatment that might be tried other than
surgery?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.   (My friend's guinea pig is
eating and drinking, pooping, acting normal, etc., except for the bleeding.)

Thanks,
Brenda (in Ohio, USA)
Max and Shadow, Rusty and William of Orange (gpigs)