[Gpdd] HEALTH: update on Tumbleweed's abscess

bunsnpigs at aol.com bunsnpigs at aol.com
Wed May 28 13:05:52 EDT 2008

Cindy, any illness, be it infection or cancer or heart disease, will make an animal lose weight even though he or she is eating well. That is because the animal uses his resources to fight the infection and burns more calories than normal when doing so.

I sincerely hope the Baytril works. This recent article from Antech states that chloramphenicol is about ~95% effective. The fluoroquinolones (Baytril is one) are only 25% effective.

http://www.antechdiagnostics.com/clients/antechNews/2008/apr08_01.htm

I would also give him some immune support and if you can afford to do so, I would take him to an alternative veterinary practitioner. I did that with two of my rabbits and a guinea pig and it was very helpful. We used herbs and veterinary acupuncture.

Judi L.

Now, though, despite eating and eating, Tumbleweed has lost four ounces
in two days!  I was shocked when I weighed him today and he was only one
pound, twelve ounces.  I couldn't believe the scale was correct.

We've been giving acidophilus a couple of hours before the Baytril and
also giving Reglan as needed.  He doesn't seem to be in discomfort and
until today was actually running to his water bottle instead of just
sauntering.  I thought for sure his weight would be up instead of down.
Can antibiotics cause a piggie to lose weight even if the piggie is
feeling better and eating well?

Any thoughts, info, advice, etc. would be much appreciated.

TIA,
Cindy, Tumbleweed, and Dr. Friday