[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Fireball's bladder stone

Anderson, Jocelyn M jocelynm at umich.edu
Sat Nov 1 11:16:33 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I found out yesterday Fireball has a bladder stone and will be going in for surgery Monday. He's on antibotics, and will be dropped off at 8am for the surgery at 2 pm, and they'll keep him until 5pm. Is there anything in particular that I should be feeding him before he goes in for surgery (this weekend and the morning of)? He's on Critical Care now and down to 888 grams.

My Vet told me (if you're eating you might want to skip this part) that reseach has shown that taking poops from a healthy guinea pig and making it into a slurry has been known to help guinea pig with bladder stones from recurring. The idea is that it will help normalize the gut flora in the piggy with the bladder stones. Has anyone else heard this or tried it? She said to try it before surgery, after surgery, and about a week afterwords.

Many thanks for all the advice I've gotten before!!

Thanks,
Jocelyn, Fireball the Fat, Little John, and Flashbang Fatbottom (who threw a huge squeaky fit when his friends went to the vet without him.)