[Gpdd] Care: Mites

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Wed Nov 5 03:33:27 EST 2008

Is he scratching a lot or is it just an occasional scratch? If he has mites,
you can get a product called ivermectin. You can of course go to your vet,
have him give the piggy his first shot or administer it orally and request that
he send you home with a couple capped   needless syringes to repeat his dose at
10 day to 2 week intervals so that all the mites are gone. (No point in
having to go back to the vet 2 additional times.)
     Ivermectin is also avaliable from feed stores. It is a wormer for horses
and dog people also use it. The trick is in knowing HOW to use it.
     Get a q-tip and cut the cotton bud off, leaving only the, umm...stick??
I'm not sure what to call it. Then put an amount the size of a small pea on
the end of the little stick and get it into his mouth! You'll want to do this 2
more times (at 10 days to 2 weks apart) as above. Only one minerature dollop
at a time. You do NOT want to overdose him.
     This can also be made into a liquid -- if you do that, I think you put
oe drop of the liquid behind each ear. I've never done it that so someone else
will have to tell you how to mix and measure. But its always a tiny amount
thta you're working with given that most tubes of horse paste, while relatively
inepensive, are designed for a 1250 pound horse.

     I reread your post, every "now and then" he scratches. My piggies alsso
scratch every now and then but it doesn't mean they have mites. We did do
battle a couple of years ago, however. Anyway,   occasional scratching is normal.
 Is your little guy biting at his back? His his skin showing irritation?
     You might go to guinealynxs also and look up mites.
     I wouldn't recommend treating him if you don't need to. Also, having him
tested for mites is usually quite painful for the piggy (they do a skin
scrapping) and much of the time the results are not accurate.
     Hopefully, someone else will also post a reply to your question.

Good luck,
Alge and the Jolly Rodent Pirate Crew