[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR: Trust

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 6 12:44:40 EST 2008

I had such a nice snuggle time with Hershey last night. I've had her since Mother's Day, and she's finally starting to enjoy being petted. She was making her darling cooing noises almost an hour, and looking up at me with the beginnings of trust in her shiny, dark button eyes. Who cares if I got peed on a little? She's worth it!
I've been able to take horses and feral cats and my rabbit to that just beginning phase, but there's a level that I've never been able to attain with any of them. I guess I lack the confidence in myself to handle them when they don't want to be, such as for catching, bathing (she's a loooong-haired piggie whose hind end must be clipped and rinsed with water at least once a week), nail clipping, and other for-their-own-good activities. Any suggestions as to how to take the Mother Role and overcome my fear while maintaining her trust?
Trust, I believe, is one of the greatest gifts one creature can give another.

Joanie