[Gpdd] SILLY PIGGIES: Hershey Licked My Toe

Maren Fouts magbfouts at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 12:21:43 EST 2008

Joanie,

Firstly, I have to say congratulations!  A piggy that licks is a wonderful
thing!  Not all of them do it, but out of the 15+ that have come through my
home (I foster some and have 2 of my own) I have had 4 lickers.  All owned
me.  Rosie, who just passed away a little over a year ago, was the most
generous with her kisses.  She shared a special bond with my husband that I
have shared with others on the digest. He would recline in his chair with
her on his chest and if she wasn't laying down, utterly comfy, she would
reach her head up to his lips, he would pucker up, and she licked his upper
lip.  It had to be the sweetest thing I ever saw.  I've also had them feel
the need to contort themselves in every possible way to reach a hand that
was petting them just to give a few kisses.  I think that's how they say
"Thank you" and "I love you".

When we visit my father and the pigs come along, they take over the guest
bathroom as we don't have a cage that is practical to transport and big
enough for them to live in comfortably for a few days.  So I open up their
travel cage and they have free run of the bathroom.  When my husband woud
get out of the shower Sam, my very first piggy, would come over and lick the
water off his toes.  So I really think it has nothing to do with salt.  Of
course, it might from time to time.  I don't know.

As for the only pig issue, plenty of people have only pigs.  Sam was an only
pig for a time and was pretty happy with it while I was living with a
roommate and in college.  We were home most of the time he was awake.  When
I moved to my new job and got married, we weren't home nearly as much and he
fell into a depression so we adopted Rosie.  He was a different piggy after
that!  Some pigs just can't stand other pigs either and are just meant to
live in cages by themselves.  They are very happy with this arrangement.

Of course, I always advocate having a buddy for your piggy if you think your
piggy wants one but, if you're home plenty and your piggy isn't depressed an
lonely, an only pig is fine.  My pigs have really helped me keep depression
at bay and you may have found that Hershey does that for you as well.  Maybe
you would consider getting another one if this is the case or if you ever
have a change in medicines.  Just a thought!  By no means a requirement!

Piggy kisses!
Maren, Charlie, Kaylee, and Daisy