[Gpdd] HEALTH: chronic cystitis

Ann Sadoian ann_sadoian at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 20 08:20:46 EST 2008

hi everyone--
     I have been reading the GPDD daily since summer 2005, and this is the first time I've posted. We got our first computer in winter 2005, and I guess I've been slow to get into all the Internet has to offer. I have posted personally to a number of you (Leah, Jaime, Cindy, Alge, Joanne, among others) at times--you may remember me, especially Leah, as you were a big help to me two years ago when Dart first started having problems with crying when she pee's.
     Because Dart seems so unwell this time, I felt I had to consult with all you piggy people in the hopes that someone has some advice that will help poor Dart. She has suffered with what the vets have diagnosed as cystitis off-and-on for two years now. Until last month, she never bled when she pee'd, but did cry. She has been treated with metacam & different antibiotics, and I have tried shilintong and potassium citrate. Nothing seems to take it away altogether, although something unusual happens in the summer--for the past two summers, she has been fine--no crying for months until September rolls around. My best guess is that she was drinking more water in the summer.
     Last month, for the first time, she not only cried when peeing, but started to pass blood. The vet put her on a course of metacam, Trimeth, and potassium citrate. She was OK for a very short time, but then the crying and peeing started up again, probably worse. I took her in to be x-rayed again--this was probably her fourth or fifth x-ray, but she never shows stones. She was put on another two-week course of Baytril this time (a month after her course of Trimeth), metacam again, and continued potassium citrate. She has not gotten better, but worse. What concerns me this time is that she seems to be spending more time in her pigloo, just nibbling at her food, and not drinking much at all. I was just watching her, and she took a few nibbles of pellets, a few of hay, maybe one sip of water. She seems to sniff the bottle, but not partake. I know she is in pain, and the bleeding continues despite the meds she's in the midst of taking. The blood seems
 thin and watery. When I finish this letter, I'm going to give her vets a call and probably pick up some Critical Care. I remember M's advice about the cranberry juice and can try that. Please, if anyone out there has any experience and advice that has helped their piggies, I would SO appreciate hearing from you!. Thank you so much.
Ann & piggies Dart, Feather, Gizmo & Tessie