[Gpdd] HEALTH Chronic cystitis

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu Nov 20 16:09:31 EST 2008

Ann,

So sorry to read about little Dart's cystitis.

It has been many a year since one of my sows had cystitis as bad as hers but my Hawthorn suffered this illness really badly. Baytril failed to stem the infection so my then vet suggested we try Tribrissen antibiotic and this cleared it up quite quickly as I recall.

I can thoroughly recommend M's suggestion of the cranberry juice. I have also used Cymalon, a remedy available from the pharmacy here in England, for the relief of cysitis in humans. It comes in little sachets and the main ingredient is Sodium Citrate. Whether there is much difference between this and the Potassium Citrate that you have been trying, I do not know but this remedy cleared up Gingerbread's cystitis. On my Rodentologist's suggestion I dissolved a quarter of a sachet in an eggcup of water and syringed her a little at a time over the course of two days.

I have also successfully used barley water to cure cystitis. Not the drink that comes in a bottle but the home made variety. It is fiddly to make but it can work. The recipe is on Peter Gurney's website.  http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/cystitis.htm
It has got to be worth a try.

You will definitely need to syringe feed Dart with Critical Care or similar to keep her strength up whilst curing the cystitis.

Good luck,

Penny and the Piggyfriends.