[Gpdd] [Health] Re: Chronic Cystitis

Evelyn Baker ebak at ca.inter.net
Fri Nov 21 19:31:38 EST 2008

I've had many pigs with this problem. It seems to be really common.
Chronic Cystitis can be caused by bladder stones and that is a route
that should be checked out. That's usually how it's detected and I've
had a few guinea pigs with that.

My last guinea pig, Phoebe had cystitis most of her life. We did the
antibiotic routines, longer does, different kinds. We did cranberry
juice which loved until she made faces and her ears would squinge
back. But next dose, she loved it all over again. For her it was a
treat.

Chronic Cystitis can also be a symptom of diabetes. After about five
years of on again off again bladder infections and tests I stopped
giving her carrots, corn, and strawberries. She of course still got
fresh cranberries when in season.  My vets couldn't believe it. She
never got another bladder infection again. Of course I didn't
completely ban her from some of her favourite foods, I just measured
them out. I used to let her gnaw away on big chunks of carrot. I then
gave her a small medallion of carrot a couple times a week. She
enjoyed it much more. Because it would complete disappear rather than
leaving carrot art (a sculpture and shavings) on the bottom of the
cage. She got strawberry hulls and corn silk and husk. The odd time a
piece of strawberry.

Dandelion is good for cystitis but not necessarily for bladder
stones. It's a diuretic and they love it.

She also loved the barley water I made from Peter Gurney's recipe. I
don't think it really helped.

So my advice is to check your guinea pig's diet. Also I had one
guinea pig who would sit in her house in the same spot all the time.
I started cleaning out under the house a couple times a day and
moving the house around. That helped for her.

I hope this has been of some help to you.

Evelyn