[Gpdd] HEALTH Sow with stone in urethra

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sun Nov 23 07:19:59 EST 2008

Hi Ann,

I have seen this condition once. An older piggy, Mir, was brought to live at Piggyfriends and, after a while, she developed a lump exactly as you have described. She also carried on eating etc. as though she had no problem.

I took her to see a vet, who said that this lump was a growth, which he would be unable to remove. I couldn't believe that a growth could develop so suddenly. If you read the GPDD regularly, you will know that I have little regard for most English vets when it comes to piggies but I was lucky enough to find a CCT Rodentologist in my area.

He immediately recognised Mir's "lump" for what it was and, under a local anaesthetic, was able to make a little incision and remove the stone. There was minimal bleeding and she was happily sitting up and eating within moments of her op. I was amazed at the size of the stone, especially as Mir was only a little piggy, but my Rodentologist had seen this happen before, often misdiagnosed by imcompetent vets.

Mir must have arrived here with the stone in her bladder and it had descended overnight, just as has occurred with your sow. I do not know if she had ever suffered from cystitis in her previous home and have no idea what food or water she might have received there but she never developed another stone and lived to a ripe old age.

Wishing you the best of luck with your little girl. Do let us know how you get on.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.