[Gpdd] Health: Stones

Dawnda Stricklen dawndastricklen at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 23 20:39:53 EST 2008

Ann

I had a guinea pig that had stones in the urethra. My Sabrina passed her stone and it was very large. My vet sent it out to California for a special guinea pig stone study. He could not believe she had passed it. She was going to have to have surgery if she did not pass it. If it blocks the urethra, they will die fast.
I had some muscle relaxers and I chipped a small piece off and gave it to her. She passed it that night. My vet said he was going to try a muscle relaxer next time he had a stone problem like that.
I have heard someone on the digest say that their vet manually worked the stone out from the urethra. Other have had to have surgery to remove them. Especially when they are large.
Some guinea pigs tend to be prone to stones and it seems the older ones have stone problems. Good luck!

Dawnda

http://dawndasticklen.tripod.com/

http://www.pigs9.blinkz.com