[Gpdd] CARE: treats

Ginger Fitzsimmons matildalucet at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 26 09:37:11 EST 2008

Somebody who will go nameless likes to give Kaytee's Healthy Bits to
Mr. Mike for a treat. Mike thinks this is delightful and gobbles them
up, but they have nuts and seeds in them and I've heard those aren't
great for piggies, so I've thought about making treats to substitute.
We are sad that Oxbow had to discontinue the Critter Berries.

YummyForDogs.org's website has a "Yummy for Rats" recipe that looks
like it has potential, but it calls for crushed pecans. Are nuts
generally unhealthy for piggers or is it mostly the choking hazard?
Because I could pulverize nuts into powder if choking is the issue.
Mr. Mike has sampled the "Cinnamon Apple Snacks" I made for a Corgi I
know and thinks those are lovely chew toys.

My ideal would be a "cookie" that uses the little powdery bits of hay
from the bottom of a bag, but I haven't figured out how to bind those
together. Yet. :-)

-ginger
co-slave to Mr. Mike T. Pig
avoiding human holiday planning by baking for animals