[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENT: Cookie has a new friend! wheek, wheek

Glenda English gapeachge at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 2 13:25:44 EDT 2008

Hey  ya'll.

Just a quick note to let you know Cookie has a new friend.  She's still missing Callie, as are we, but she and the new baby are getting to know each other through their separate cages.  She's six weeks old and her name is Ruby.  She fits just perfectly in my cupped hand, and is just too cute.  There has been lots of scampering around, wheeking, chittering and climbing up on the edge to see each other.  I've also let them touch noses through the "bars" a few times.  I hold Cookie up to Ruby's cage and they talk, and then I put Cookie back in hers and hold Ruby up to Cookie's cage.  They're are extremely interested.  When Ruby starts running around, wheeking for Cookie, Cookie runs to the corner nearest Ruby's cage and climbs up, trying to see her.  She chews on the bars trying to get out so she can play too.

Cookie and Ruby come from the same breeder so are probably kin in some way.  They both have the dark blue eyes and the "split down the middle two-tone tummy of black and white."  Ruby doesn't seem to be quite as jet black as Cookie, though.  It may just be because she's so young.  Cookie was 10 weeks old when we got her, and she was already heavier and longer than Ruby is right now.  Ruby's "paint job" on top is very unique though.  We've been taking photos and hopefully, I can get a flicker account started so I can let ya'll see my babies.  I'll put some of Callie there too.  Getting Ruby has been good for all of us.  I still get a little weepy thinking of Callie, but having a little one to tend to and introduce to Cookie is helping.

Ruby loves her hay, crunchy guinea pig food, romaine, spinach, green curly leaf lettuce, apple and cantaloupe.  She didn't really care much for honey dew, which is what I gave her the first night.  She and Cookie have similar tastes, but Ruby is eating fresh veg better at this early stage than Cookie did.  I'm very please with her progress so far.  She's just so tiny.  I'd never seen one this small before.  She's hilarious when she get the full twisting popcorn thing going.

Cookie and Ruby will be great friends.  I just know it.  They'll have their first floor time together tommorow night.  So far, they're both great cuddlers and love lap time.  We'll put Ruby in the play pen with Cookie on the outside of it.  They can talk and get acquainted with no one getting hurt.  Wish us luck.

Wheeks and hugs to everyone.
Glenda, Meghan, Cookie, Ruby (and Callie)