[Gpdd] [GPDD] [MISCELLANEOUS] Licking the radiator

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 7 10:14:07 EDT 2008

Dear all

This is an odd one.

While the weather here in the UK is so wet and rotten, I let my two boars BG
and Artie have lots of floor time in my bedroom.

While cleaning out their run just now, I watched Artie walk up to the
radiator (which is turned off) and begin licking it.  I recalled that he did
this last year as well.  We all have our little habits, but this one strikes
me as quite odd! ;o)

He never tries to bite the radiator, just lick, and I have always thought he
does it simply because it's a pleasant sensation on his tongue, but it
suddenly occured to me that maybe it is a sign he needs something -- perhaps
in guinea pig behaviour/habits there is something similar to the licking of
a smooth surface that I haven't come across before, that indicates a craving
for something, or a requirement for something?  Perhaps some of you may
recognise similar behaviour in your own guinea pigs that might explain what
Artie is trying to do?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Many thanks

Carole