[Gpdd] [Older Piggies Health]

Evelyn Baker ebak at ca.inter.net
Tue Oct 7 18:25:48 EDT 2008

Deciding whether your guinea pig is ready to be helped over the
bridge is an incredibly tough decision but generally, I think the
guinea pig will let you know. They stop eating, they face a corner
etc. Then there are others who fight until the end. I think it's the
quality of life, and whether they are in pain or suffering. Sometimes
you don't want to wait too long because it's a fine line between care
and suffering. A few guinea pigs, I feel I should have taken them to
the vet sooner so that they wouldn't have suffered. On the other
hand, Phoebe, was trying right to the end. On the way to vet she was
trying to nibble on grass, even though she was weak and her
temperature was so low the themometer couldn't measure it. But for
her it was a matter of hours and she wasn't going to get better or
even stable. I think it was that strength that helped her to survive
all those years even with less than the best health. She had made a
few miraculous recoveries before that.

It's been almost a year since little Ms Phoebe has been gone, and I
still miss her.

Evelyn