[Gpdd] HEALTH: huge swelling

Brenda Colijn bcolijn at wideopenwest.com
Thu Oct 9 15:39:50 EDT 2008

Debbie,

I read the Digest regularly, although I don't post much.

I have had experience with one of my guinea pigs developing a large swelling.
 His was under his chin and in his chest area.  In his case, the swelling was
due to kidney failure.  He was also drinking a lot of water, and his hair got
thinner.  The vet did a urinalysis and found protein in the urine, which meant
that the kidneys weren't processing it effectively.

My guinea pig continued to enjoy life and food and socializing until his last
day (a couple of months later, in his case), when I knew it was the end.  I
don't think he was in discomfort until perhaps that last day.

I hope Nuage has something less serious.  There isn't much that can be done
for kidney failure in guinea pigs, although the vet said that subcutaneous
fluids can make them more comfortable.

Again, I hope Nuage doesn't have anything serious, but I thought I should
share my experience.  Best wishes to you and all the Dolly Mixtures.

Brenda (in Ohio, USA)
Max, William, and Rusty