[Gpdd] health: V-shaped baldness

Mieke Staaks pandameisje at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 17:40:43 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Since half of August I volunteer at a local rodent shelter in the Hague.
We used to have little Guinea pigs, but lately we seem to get more and more
piggies.
I think we've got around 15! which is a lot, because we only had 3 when i
first came..
It's nothing compared to the rabbits though, we used to have around 60, we
might be down to 40 now...
(including 4 gorgeous baby rabbits..)

We have a couple of two boars which I am totally in Love with...
But i've got 3 girls, the boys are not neutered and my boyfriend is allergic
to guinea pigs..
3 is okay, but I know 6 is two much, so I guess 5 will be too much...
But I will take them if they don't get a family in half a year to a year,
I must find a way to convince my boyfriend though..
The boars are a silver agouti smooth-haired named Toby, who so very
inquisitive and sweet
and a tricolored Teddy (brown, white and orange/brownish) we is mostly just
scared... but a darling anyways
named Chico.
Chico has a sort of V-shaped baldness on his back... He's not completely
bald there but his hair is really short...
It does not seem to bother him, and Toby seems unaffected...
The V is on his back like this Head > But..

I seem to recall Lotje having the same patterns like this on her back once
an remember us treating this succesfully
But I am not sure how we treated it, I think we treated her for mites...
Chico skin looks calm, he does not seem to be bothered by it... his skin
does look a bit flaky, but not very much...
Also it has not changed since the last wheek, did not become worse but also
not better.

Anyone any ideas what this is?
And how to treat it? Which would be most convenient for an understaffed
shelter?
(i'm kind of hoping that I have to (voluntarily of course) take them home to
give Chico some baths with special anti-fungus shampoo.
Which will give me the chance to introduce them to my boyfriend and see if
it's not a problem for him, having 5 guineas...
Hopefully I will not have to bring them back then... Am I displaying Guinea
pig slave symptoms yet..?)

Many Wheeks and greetings,
Mikey and the Winky girls: Guiny, Dunya and Woopy
pandameisje at gmail.com
pandameisje at hotmail.com
m.staaks at pecoma.nl

Blog: http://pandameisje.hyves.nl