[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOUR] Marmite is aggressive

Donna Grant lsdmg at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 13 15:37:20 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I've been trying hard with the introductions of Marmite and Jessica (both 10 months and fully grown) to Abby (4 1/2 years) which hasn't been going well. Marmite keeps chasing and ripping out chunks of Abby's hair out, she tried to do it to Jessica too but can't get hold as Jessica is smooth haired whereas Abby is an Abby! I even tried bathing Abby and Marmite together but as soon as they had completely dried off the fighting starting again. Abby and Jessica get on well but Abby and Marmite are a disaster. I tried putting them in enclosure with a divider in the middle so they could see each other but as soon as Marmite realised Abby was around she started to chase and bite Jessica! So basically Marmite gets aggressive when she knows there is another guinea pig besides Jessica around. I find it strange as Marmite will happily get along with Jessica if they are the only 2 around. At the moment Abby and Jessica are playing together and Marmite is on her own. Everytime Abby gets near the divider Marmite goes wild.

This could get difficult because I bought the C&C materials in the hope that they would eventually get on and if not they could live divided. The only problem is will Jessica suffer if Marmite gets over aggressive over Abby being around? How can I help them work it out?

Thanks,
Donna, Abby, Marmite and Jessica