[Gpdd] CARE Fall leaves

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu Oct 16 18:54:06 EDT 2008

Jean and Andy,

Not a silly question at all. Piggies don't always know what is safe to eat.

I expect that the leaves falling in your area are vastly different from mine in England. After yet another wet and soggy summer, I have been clearing up mouldy, mildewed and pest-ridden leaves which are only fit for the leaf mould bin to ultimately grow next year's veggies.

When the Piggyfriends were out on the lawn ( when we used to have summer ) there was always a stampede for a fallen oak leaf. Maybe they knew something that I didn't.

Fresh leaves that are good for piggies to munch include apple and pear. Bramble leaves are a great treatment for diarrhoea. Raspberry leaves help in the last trimester of pregnancy, being considered to lead to an easier birth. Willow leaves are like aspirin and can help during post surgery recovery.

There are lots of poisonous plants. Amongst trees, laburnum and yew are toxic to us so presumably also to piggies.

I'd better leave ( no pun intended ) this to slaves in your country.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.