[Gpdd] CARE: Halloween and dolls clothing

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Thu Oct 23 00:44:33 EDT 2008

Hi Katie:
     Going out Halloween is stressful for piggies and if its really cool or
cold their body temperature can drop and they can get pneumonia or some other
upper respiratory infection. Sometimes they don't make it.   Guinea Pigs are
fragile little animals and are not the kind of animals that you should be
dressing in doll clothes.

     Most of the people who use clothing props here put little hats (or bunny
ears, or antlers for Christmas) (and most people here don't use any clothing)
on them to take pictures, but they should not be kept in clothes or costumes.
Also, don't break any legs trying to put them into a sleeve. Their little
bones are like wood match sticks. Very fragile.

     It's true that you can buy guinea pig costumes -- but again, they're not
for log term wear. I have discovered that there are 2 different styles and
one is easier on the piggy than the other. If you ever see any of Princess
Snowflake and Teddy's "wedding" pigtures, you'll see that her lace wedding gown is
really just white lace made to look like a gown. These clothes are photo props
more or less.

     Do you have a link to Princess Snowflake's site. If not either I or the
Princess's Mommy, Leah, can give you a link. You'll see that in one she just
has a little straw hat on her head for the photo. And Leah does excellent piggy
costume pigtures. But she's very careful of her piggies and keeps everything
to a minimum.

     Honestly, Katie (or do you go by Kate)?, guinea pigs are not meant to
play dress up or to go out trick or treating! They neeed to be handled gently.
They get scared very easily becasue they small and defenseless, and in the wild
other larger animals try to grab them up and eat them. So we try to give our
piggies the best possible lives.

     And all of us don't always agree   -- someone else may write to you with
a different point of view.

Your friend,
Alge,   Mommy to the Jolly Pirates: Captain Jack and Barnacle Bill.