[Gpdd] Health: Blindness

Julie Juwles Johnson juwles at bigpond.com
Fri Oct 24 09:21:43 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I'm grateful for not having to had to write for advice for some time, but the need has now arisen.   My dear Donald, a sheltie cross which I rescued from RSPCA nearly 12 months ago, looks to me like he has become blind, or is going blind, in his left eye.   Over the past 2 weeks I've noted that his eye has been turning cloudy, whilst the other eye remains its normal black colour.   I tried putting my finger closer to his eye, he did pull back so he has some sight there, but I'm pretty certain he's losing sight in that eye.   I took a photo of both eyes, and the cloudiness definitely shows up in the photo.

Does anyone know if piggies get cataracts or what could cause blindness to an eye?   Luckily, the right eye is good as normal.

Best wishes to all
Julie, Donald, Wheeky, (and now Joey & Kimba - 2 new boys I adopted on 1 October)