[Gpdd] Bridge: Scrabble and sedation

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Tue Oct 28 13:58:13 EDT 2008

Dear Alge and all Piggy Slaves

I feel Alge brought up some very important issues about how we should
share our knowledge of cavy medicine even when it comes to pre-sedation
and euthanasia. I wrote in issue 323 about Peaceful Euthanasia. For 24
years I have operated a private cavy rescue home. I am a pharmaceutical
scientist and medical device inventor who loves piggys. To me they are
the most deserving of all animals since so many have given their lives
to science. Back in the early years when I lived in Miami a vet botched
euthanizing one of my piggys. After that I always insisted when I would
interview a vet to see if she/he was qualified to care for my piggys I
would tell the vet how I wanted euthanasia to be performed if the need
ever arose. If the vet said no, I would look for another vet. I used to
always have the vet first give 2% isoflurane anesthetic gas to the piggy
that was to be euthanized. Within minutes the piggy would gently fall
asleep and then when there were no reflex movements the lethal injection
would be administered. It was not until 2001 when I met Dr. Frank
Bonsack that I changed the way I have euthanasia performed.

By the way isoflurane is the only anesthetic gas a piggy needs for
surgery or if your vet will only trim teeth if your cavy is under
anesthesia. According to Vedra Stanley Spatcher of the Cambridge Cavy
Trust,CCT, and Guinea Pig Hospital a cavy should receive 0.2ml of
Rimadyl prior to surgery and any fluid or food aspirated from the back
of the throat and only 2% isoflurane used for anesthesia.....nothing
else, no matter what type of surgery is being performed. After the
surgery is completed the isoflurane is turned off the cavy is given
oxygen given oxygen and should be awake and walking and eating within 15
minutes of surgery. I can attest to this procedure being used on my
cavies and all of them recovered fully. I feel that I am the person
employing the vet and the vet either does it my way or if the vet does
not feel comfortable doing it my way it is up to me to find a vet that
will do it my way. I have been a member of the Cambridge Cavy Trust for
10 years. Vedra Stanley Spatcher has treated over 40,000 cavies. Anyone
wanting to know more about CCT or the British Association of
Rodentologists can pm me.

Ann and the rescued Piggys of Piggyville Tampa Florida USA