[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Liquid Vit C and UTI's

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Wed Oct 29 15:38:56 EDT 2008

I get my Liquid Vitamin C with Rose Hips Vegetarian Formula online from
Puritan Pride www.puritan.com
1ml = 60mg of Vitamin C.I give 0.5ml to 1ml. My piggys love it. When I
give my piggys liquid Baytril I mix the Baytril in Liquid Vitamin C and
they gladly take it.  I also buy from Puritan Pride Chewable 100 mg
tablets of Acerola with Natural vitamin C Berry Flavor. I break the
tablets in half and give all of my cavies a half a tablet/day. They eat
the half tablets like candy.  Even though I feed my cavies Oxbow Cavy
Cuisine and fresh fruits and vegetables every day I never know for sure
how much vitamin C they are getting since each cavy eats a different
amount of pellets and treats/day that is why I supplement their diet
with vitamin c.
Regarding UTI's, Vedra Stanley-Spatcher of the Cambridge Cavy Trust and
Guinea Pig Hospital recommends the pediatric suspension of Trimethroprim
40mg and Sulfamethoxazole 200mg, per 5ml for cystitis in conjunction
with Rimadyl.  The trimethoprin sulfamethoxazole should be given orally
0.5ml twice daily for 10-14 days. The Rimadyl should be given at a dose
of 10mg twice a day for the first 3 days then 5 mg twice a day for 10-14
days. She also recommends 0.2ml of hydrangea root tincture daily mixed
with 0.3ml liquid vitamin C. I purchased it online from Herbs Pro
www.herbspro.com. Vedra recommended buying it online from a site called
incense magic www.incensemajic.co.uk. Your piggy may need to be on it
for weeks or months especially if she is prone to getting UTI's. The
information on UTI's is covered in more detail in Vedra's book
Diagnostic Guide to Guinea Pig Problems. You can buy it using Paypal
from the British Association of Rodentologists.
http://www.rodentology.co.uk/

I hope this helps.

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville Tampa Florida USA