[Gpdd] MISC; Little Pig - thanks

davedave121 at aol.com davedave121 at aol.com
Sun Sep 14 15:38:42 EDT 2008

Hi all.
Yvonne and I want to thank you guy’s for all your kind words and emails
when we lost our precious Little Pig, they really helped in our time of
sorrow.

It was a bolt out of the blue , only 8 hours before he died , we were
reflecting on how lucky we had been, Toby had received the all clear
 from nipple lump biopsy , Elvis is recovering from tummy upset, (he
needed his molars filing ), and we had been told by our vet that Little
Pig just had a minor ulcer in his mouth after having his molars filed,
we felt so blessed , then it all came crashing down .

It may seam like we have a lot of medical problems with our pigs, but
this is due to the fact that hear at PP we provide ‘forever homes’ for
up to 20 piggy’s , most of them are x breeders and unwanted pigs, a lot
of them are old timers and inevitably the older the piggy gets the moor
prone they are to problems , though we do have our Furby , a lovely  7
year old teddy boar , that apart from mites, has never had a days
illness .

At the moment we are blessed with 18 masters, and we have not had a
death in 17 months, so as I was saying , Little Pigs crossing really
hit us hard .

But we had to be realistic , Katty , Little Pig’s pen mate was the main
loser , they where an incredibly closely bonded pair, and she was
confused , and needed a d
istraction , so that she wouldn’t pine , we
have had pigs in the past that have died a short time after losing a
long term pen mate, and we were no about to have this happen to Katty.

Not wanting to split up any of our established family groups ,we went
to the rescue and adopted a 2 year old x breeder sow , and by chance
and not choice, this sow was a Little Pig look alike , and apart from
being a lot bigger and a sharper white, and bigger ears, and of course
a sow,   well nearly look alike!!

We called her Windy Wendy , as the first thing she did when she was put
into my arms was pump, I don’t know what she would have been called if
she had wee’ed .

Anyway it was hate at first sight , they where aggressive towards each
other , we tried different approaches , none seamed to do any good,
they were both determined to be boss sow . So I emailed Manny the
Boar’s Mum, and she gave me some good advice , I won’t go into detail ,
it took nearly 5 days , but Sandy’s advice did the trick. We now have
Katty and Wendy happily housed to together .

Piggy love certainly has it’s share of worry and pain, but the pure joy
these precious little souls bring us all makes it more than worth while
. Once again, thanks so much you guys, for being there when we really
needed it.

Piggy Power
Dave And Yvonne and the20herd at Piggy Palace UK