[Gpdd] [Behavior] Sleeping Piggies

Evelyn Baker ebak at ca.inter.net
Wed Sep 17 13:47:03 EDT 2008

I know the feeling of seeing a piggy in perfect repose fast asleep
and panicking. Phoebe was a very sound sleeper, even when she was a
baby. She also slept with her eyes closed, which most guinea pigs
don't. I used to look for breathing. She was always pissed off when
work her or at least expecting treats.

Most guinea pigs do become sound sleepers when they get older. Some
snore. Wilbur used to sound like an owl. I would hear hoo hoo. It
took me a while to figure out it was her.

Of course the reverse can be true too. I came home one day and Emily
looked fast asleep by her food bowl. She was a senior pig and had
just made a miraculous recover the week before.  When I went to check
on her because she would get up, I realized she was gone. But I know
she went peacefully after having a snack.

So it's still good to check on them.
Evelyn